Bowbells is a small town in North Dakota with a population of around 1,000 people. It is located in the northwest part of the state and is surrounded by prairies and rolling hills. The climate is typical of the northern plains region, with cold winters and hot summers. The area sees an average of 20 inches of snowfall each year. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in North Dakota.
The history of Bowbells dates back to when it was first settled in 1884 by immigrants from Norway. In its early days, the town was primarily an agricultural community, but as time went on it became more industrialized. Today, Bowbells is still known for its agricultural roots and its vibrant economy that relies heavily on farming and ranching.
Politics in Bowbells are dominated by Republican candidates who usually win local elections by large margins. The economy in Bowbells relies heavily on farming and ranching as well as tourism from visitors coming to see some of the town’s popular landmarks such as the historic Bowbells Lutheran Church and the old-fashioned Pioneer Town Museum.
Bowbells has two public schools: Bowbells Elementary School for grades kindergarten through 6th grade and Bowbells High School for grades 7th – 12th grade. Both schools offer a variety of extracurricular activities such as sports teams, clubs, and other opportunities to get involved in school life.
The most popular landmark in town is definitely the old-fashioned Pioneer Town Museum which has been open since 1936 and houses a variety of artifacts from the area’s past including historical photographs, books, tools, furniture, clothes, toys, farm equipment, artworks, etc. It’s a great place to visit if you’re looking for a glimpse into what life was like back then in this part of North Dakota!
Population: 406. Estimated population in July 2020: 361 (-11.1% change)
Males: 194 (47.8%), Females: 212 (52.2%)
Zip code: 58721
Median resident age: 41.5 years
Median household income: $30,455
Median house value: $35,300
Races in Bowbells:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.8%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
Ancestries: Norwegian (42.4%), German (34.5%), Irish (15.0%), Swedish (12.1%), Danish (10.1%), English (6.2%).
Elevation: 1959 feet
Land area: 0.8 square miles
The population of Bowbells, North Dakota is just over 800 people. It is a small town located in the northwest corner of the state. The majority of the population consists of white Americans, but there are also many people from other ethnic backgrounds living in the community. The town has a few businesses, including a grocery store and a gas station. There are also several churches and organizations that serve the community.
The cost of living in Bowbells is relatively low compared to other cities in North Dakota. The average home price is around $100,000 and rental prices are very affordable for those who need it. Utilities are also quite affordable for the area, with electricity rates being some of the lowest in all of North Dakota. Food costs are also lower than most places in the state due to its rural location and access to local farmers markets and produce stands. Despite its small size, Bowbells offers plenty of activities for residents to enjoy such as fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, golfing and more. The town even hosts regular events like festivals and fairs throughout the year that bring out people from all over North Dakota to enjoy themselves.
For population 25 years and over in Bowbells
- High school or higher: 80.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.6%
- Unemployed: 1.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 13.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Bowbells city
- Never married: 18.5%
- Now married: 63.6%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 9.9%
- Divorced: 5.8%
0.5% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -86 (-17.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Bowbells:
- KENMARE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL – CAH (about 13 miles; KENMARE, ND)
- MOUNTRAIL COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER – CAH (about 33 miles; STANLEY, ND)
- TIOGA MEDICAL CENTER HOSPITAL – CAH (about 57 miles; TIOGA, ND)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Bowbells:
- MINOT AFB (about 68 miles; MINOT, ND; Abbreviation: MIB)
- MINOT INTL (about 78 miles; MINOT, ND; Abbreviation: MOT)
- SLOULIN FLD INTL (about 106 miles; WILLISTON, ND; Abbreviation: ISN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Bowbells:
- BOWBELLS MUNI (about 1 miles; BOWBELLS, ND; Abbreviation: 5B4)
- KENMARE MUNI (about 18 miles; KENMARE, ND; Abbreviation: 7K5)
- STANLEY MUNI (about 37 miles; STANLEY, ND; Abbreviation: 08D)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Bowbells:
- MINOT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 76 miles; MINOT, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,662)
- BISMARCK STATE COLLEGE (about 170 miles; BISMARCK, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,205)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY (about 174 miles; BISMARCK, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,203)
- BLACK HILLS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 317 miles; SPEARFISH, SD; Full-time enrollment: 3,190)
- SOUTH DAKOTA SCHOOL OF MINES AND TECHNOLOGY (about 332 miles; RAPID CITY, SD; Full-time enrollment: 2,002)
- NORTHERN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 347 miles; ABERDEEN, SD; Full-time enrollment: 2,356)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA-MAIN CAMPUS (about 363 miles; GRAND FORKS, ND; Full-time enrollment: 9,935)
Public high school in Bowbells:
- BOWBELLS HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 34; Location: 200 MADISON AVE; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Bowbells:
- BOWBELLS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 54; Location: 200 MADISON AVE; Grades: KG – 06)