Wyndmere, North Dakota is a small town located in the southeastern corner of the state. It has a population of about 1,200 people, most of whom are of German or Scandinavian descent. The geography of Wyndmere is mainly flat with some rolling hills and plenty of farmland. The climate is typical for North Dakota with cold winters and hot summers.
The history of Wyndmere dates back to the late 1800s when it was founded by a group of German settlers who were looking for a place to call home. Since then, Wyndmere has been home to generations of families who have built their lives here and contributed to its growth and development over the years.
Politically, Wyndmere is part of Richland County and primarily votes Republican. The economy in Wyndmere relies mainly on agriculture but there are also some small businesses that operate in town as well.
Education in Wyndmere is provided by the Richland School District which serves students from kindergarten through twelfth grade. There are also several churches in town that offer religious instruction for those interested in exploring their faith further.
There are several landmarks that make Wyndmere unique including an old grain elevator that was built in 1906, an old water tower built in 1948, and several historic buildings throughout the town’s downtown area that have been preserved from its early days as a settlement.
Population: 533. Estimated population in July 2020: 503 (-5.6% change)
Males: 273 (51.2%), Females: 260 (48.8%)
Zip code: 58081
Median resident age: 38.2 years
Median household income: $42,143
Median house value: $46,300
Races in Wyndmere:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.6%)
- Hispanic (1.3%)
- Other race (1.3%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
Ancestries: German (52.9%), Norwegian (34.5%), Irish (7.1%), United States (5.3%), English (4.5%), French (4.5%).
Elevation: 1059 feet
Land area: 0.9 square miles
Wyndmere, North Dakota is located in the southeastern corner of the state. It has a population of approximately 1,000 people, making it one of the smaller towns in North Dakota. The town is predominantly rural with a few businesses downtown and some smaller neighborhoods scattered throughout. The population consists mainly of families and retirees.
The cost of living in Wyndmere is relatively low compared to other towns and cities in North Dakota. Most goods and services are cheaper than in larger towns or cities nearby. Housing costs are especially low, with an average rent for a two bedroom apartment being around $600 per month and the average home price being around $90,000. Property taxes are also lower than the national average. Groceries and utilities are also relatively inexpensive compared to other states or cities nearby.
In terms of transportation, there is limited public transportation available but most residents rely on their own vehicles or carpooling to get around town or to nearby towns or cities for work or leisure activities. Wyndmere does have a small airport that offers flights to larger airports in neighboring states for those who need to travel further distances for business or pleasure trips.
For population 25 years and over in Wyndmere
- High school or higher: 82.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.5%
- Unemployed: 8.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wyndmere city
- Never married: 23.3%
- Now married: 62.8%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 6.0%
- Divorced: 6.5%
2.3% Foreign born (1.5% Latin America, 0.8% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: -27 (-4.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Wyndmere:
- LISBON MEDICAL CENTER – CAH (about 40 miles; LISBON, ND)
- ST FRANCIS MEDICAL CENTER (about 41 miles; BRECKENRIDGE, MN)
- COTEAU DES PRAIRIES HOSP (about 42 miles; SISSETON, SD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Wyndmere:
- HECTOR INTL (about 51 miles; FARGO, ND; Abbreviation: FAR)
- WATERTOWN MUNI (about 94 miles; WATERTOWN, SD; Abbreviation: ATY)
- ABERDEEN REGIONAL (about 106 miles; ABERDEEN, SD; Abbreviation: ABR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Wyndmere:
- LIDGERWOOD MUNI (about 13 miles; LIDGERWOOD, ND; Abbreviation: 4N4)
- MILNOR MUNI (about 21 miles; MILNOR, ND; Abbreviation: 4R6)
- HAMRY FIELD (about 28 miles; KINDRED, ND; Abbreviation: K74)
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of North Dakota graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wyndmere:
- NORTH DAKOTA STATE COLLEGE OF SCIENCE (about 37 miles; WAHPETON, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,176)
- NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 48 miles; FARGO, ND; Full-time enrollment: 8,836)
- MINNESOTA STATE UNIVERSITY-MOORHEAD (about 61 miles; MOORHEAD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 6,400)
- CONCORDIA COLLEGE AT MOORHEAD (about 61 miles; MOORHEAD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,771)
- NORTHERN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 110 miles; ABERDEEN, SD; Full-time enrollment: 2,356)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA-MAIN CAMPUS (about 114 miles; GRAND FORKS, ND; Full-time enrollment: 9,935)
- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 133 miles; BROOKINGS, SD; Full-time enrollment: 7,353)
Public high school in Wyndmere:
- WYNDMERE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 156; Location: 101 DATE AVE; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Wyndmere:
- WYNDMERE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 109; Location: 101 DATE AVE; Grades: KG – 06)