The Earth is composed of oceans and continents and each continent has dozens of countries. However, many times we get lost in the accounts and we don’t know exactly how many countries there are in the world. Do you want to meet them all? Then read on with the article.
View Articles by Continent
Accounting for countries in the world is always a problem. There are several entities, such as the United Nations (UN), whose list leaves out some countries. For example, the UN does not count the Vatican, a nation-state in Italy, nor Taiwan, whose independence is not recognized by China. Greenland, for example, is left out because it is Danish territory.
List of countries in the world
In order to include the maximum number of countries recognized worldwide, we have compiled a list that can be read below.
In total, according to this list, there are 246 countries in the world. However, the United Nations ensures that the world has a total of 193. For this reason, the response continues to vary from the point of view.
|List of all countries in Africa|
|List of all countries in Asia|
|List of all countries in Europe|
|List of all countries in Oceania|
|List of all countries in North America|
|List of all countries in South America|
The 50 countries with the lowest oil production in the world
|Rank||Country||Oil production (million cubic meters)|
|6||Barbados (North America)||1,000|
|9||Aruba (North America)||2,500|
|12||Chile (South America)||4,000|
|21||Suriname (South America)||12,000|
|22||Czech Republic (Europe)||12,600|
|28||Democratic Republic of the Congo (Africa)||21,000|
|29||Guatemala (North America)||22,900|
|30||New Zealand (Australia-Oceania)||28,700|
|34||Ivory Coast (Africa)||36,000|
|35||Bolivia (South America)||44,000|
|37||Papua New Guinea (Australia-Oceania)||50,000|
|40||Cuba (North America)||73,400|
|47||Peru (South America)||127,000|
|50||Trinidad and Tobago (North America)||158,000|
|Extraction of petroleum. Only countries with oil production are listed.|
Learn a little more about the American continent, where Brazil is!
The American continent is a portion of land bathed by the Atlantic Ocean to the east and the Pacific Ocean to the west. These are two continental blocks to the north and south joined by an isthmus (small strip of land located between two seas).
With a population of almost 1 billion inhabitants and a territorial area of 42,549.00 km², America is the second largest continent (behind only Asia) and has 14.2% of the world population. In all, there are 35 independent countries and 16 colonies.
Eventually, this continent is called the “New World”, but that does not mean that it is actually younger than the other continents, as this denomination was created after the discovery by the Europeans, being, therefore, a Eurocentric vision of America.
In fact, from a geological point of view, the American continent is considered ancient, as its relief shows evidence that it has been exposed to external agents of transformation for a longer time (wind, water, rain, climate, among others).
Speaking in relief, the physical structure of America has two large mountain ranges, one located in the north, called the Rocky Mountains, and another located in the south, called the Andes, both located in the western part of the continent and originated by the contact between tectonic plates.
In the eastern part of America – both in the North and in the South – there are some plateaus. They are: Guiano Plateau (northern South America), Central Brazilian Plateau, Patagonian Plateau (in Argentina), Canadian Escudos and the Appalachian Mountains (western United States).
In terms of location, America is in three different hemispheres at the same time: the North, the South and the West, being crossed by the Equator, the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn, being the only continent to be to be located in all the thermal zones of the Earth.
This continent has several types of regional divisions, of which we can highlight two. One divides it into North, Central and South America, and the other divides it into Latin and Anglo-Saxon America.
The North America has only three countries: Canada, United States and Mexico.
The South American has twelve countries: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay and Venezuela. Check information for each country on Countryaah.
The Central America and Caribbean have twenty countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Nicaragua, Panama, Dominican Republic, Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago.
Thus, Latin America encompasses all the countries of South and Central America together with Mexico, while Anglo-Saxon America has only the United States and Canada.
In the economic field, large levels of inequality are registered in America. The countries that are part of North America are the only developed countries on the continent, presenting most of its Gross Domestic Product. In addition, some countries such as Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and Uruguay are considered emerging nations. The rest are classified as underdeveloped.
- New Mexico Road Network December 1, 2023 - New Mexico's road network is an essential component of the state's transportation infrastructure, connecting diverse landscapes, fostering economic development, and facilitating travel for residents and visitors alike. In this comprehensive… Read more
- New Mexico Population 2018 November 24, 2023 - New Mexico, located in the southwestern region of the United States, is a state distinguished by its diverse landscapes, rich cultural heritage, and a mix of Native American, Hispanic, and… Read more
- New Mexico Population 2019 November 17, 2023 - In 2019, New Mexico, situated in the southwestern United States, represented a state with a rich cultural heritage, diverse landscapes, and a unique blend of Native American, Hispanic, and Anglo… Read more
- Maynard, Massachusetts November 10, 2023 - Maynard, Massachusetts, is a small town located in Middlesex County, about 20 miles northwest of Boston. The town's geography is characterized by rolling hills, lush forests, and picturesque ponds, making… Read more
- Opheim, Montana November 3, 2023 - Opheim, Montana is a small town located in the northeastern part of the state. Situated in Valley County, Opheim is surrounded by vast open plains and rolling hills, creating a… Read more
- Wagontown, Pennsylvania October 27, 2023 - Wagontown is a small unincorporated community in Chester County, Pennsylvania, located in the southeastern part of the state. The community is situated in the rolling hills of the Piedmont region… Read more
- Rome, Italy Geography October 23, 2023 - Rome, often referred to as the "Eternal City," is the capital and largest city of Italy. Its geography is marked by a rich tapestry of historical and natural features, including… Read more
- West Coxsackie, New York October 20, 2023 - West Coxsackie is a small hamlet located in Greene County, New York. Situated on the western bank of the Hudson River, it is a scenic area with a diverse and… Read more
- Tylersport, Pennsylvania October 13, 2023 - Tylersport is a small unincorporated community located in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Situated in the southeastern part of the state, Tylersport is part of the larger Delaware Valley region. The community… Read more
- Walworth, New York October 6, 2023 - Walworth, New York is a small town located in Wayne County, situated in the western part of the state. It is part of the greater Rochester metropolitan area, approximately 15… Read more