The City Museum (Stiftsmuseum) in the side building of the collegiate church shows a collection on early history, as well as (art) objects from the region that date from the Middle Ages. Objects that were found during excavations at the Roman Limes forts in the area and in Alemannic burial grounds can also be seen. According to topb2bwebsites, Aschaffenburg is a city in Germany.
Address: Stiftsplatz 1a,
Tel.: 06021 – 44 47 950
Science Museum Aschaffenburg’s Natural Science Museum is located in the three-winged Schönborner Hof from the Baroque period. It shows collections from the fields of zoology (the largest collection of bugs in the world), botany, palaeontology and geology (mineral collection from the Spessart)
Address: Wermbachstraße 15, Tel.: 06021 – 45 61 05 23
The Castle Museum has a collection that focuses on glass, porcelain, faience and ceramics. The collection of cork models and the tin collection are also particularly interesting. The palace also houses the palace library and the most important Bavarian painting collection after Munich. Here you can find works by Rubens, Cranach, Raffael and others.
Address: Schlossplatz 4, Tel.: 06021 – 38 67 40
Rosso Bianco Collection
Aschaffenburg is home to the largest permanent racing and sports car show in the world. The Rosso Bianco Collection, with the most extensive Ferrari collection in Germany and the world’s largest collection of the Lola, Alfa Romeo and McLaren brands, is located just outside the center and shows over 200 showpieces from all over the world.
Address: Obernauer Straße 125
The house is one of the museums of the city of Aschaffenburg and can only be visited by appointment. It was built according to the plans of the pump manufacturer Anton Gentil (1868-1951) and designed from the outset as an artist’s villa. Gentil bequeathed his art collection to the city. The collection consists of wooden sculptures, contemporary German traditional painting and handicrafts. Address: Grünewaldstr. 20, Tel.: 06021 – 38 67 74 14
The three-story Pompejanum was built in the mid-19th century for King Ludwig I of Bavaria. It is modeled on the Pompeian villa “Castor and Pollux”. Inside there are paintings as you can also find them in Pompeii. The villa was built by Friedrich von Gärtner, a royal architect.
Street Tel.: 06021 – 38 65 70
Address: Wolfsthal Place
Tel.: 06021-29 87 0
Theater and town hall
The beautiful city theater dates from 1811 and is one of the city’s neo-classical buildings and was built under the direction of the architect Emanuel Josep d’Herigoyen.
The modern city hall stands in contrast to the castle, on the side of which it is located. It was recently built from glass and light metal for various events.
Special streets and neighborhoods
The Schlossgasse with some half-timbered houses is interesting. The theater and the parish church “To Our Lady” are also located here. The surrounding streets, such as Pfaffengasse or Theatergasse, still have the flair of the old town.
The old town around Schlossgasse has some cozy wine bars and has an interesting atmosphere with its branching streets. Below the old town, a traffic-calmed area houses the shopping streets.
On the Stiftsplatz is the collegiate church (St. Peter and Paul), which is almost 1,000 years old and is the oldest building in Aschaffenburg. At the foot of the outside staircase that leads up to the collegiate church is the restored half-timbered house that used to house the lion pharmacy. Opposite is the modern town hall.
This is where the old town and the shopping streets meet.
The Palace Square
On the Palace Square is the town hall, which also houses the tourist office and the town library.
The city hall was built in the 1950s and was designed by the architect Diez Brandi. The town hall is located right next to the collegiate church, the oldest building in the city, and therefore stands in contrast not only in the epochs, but also in the areas of state and religion. The bronze portal was designed by Ursula Ulrich and shows scenes from the city’s history.
The Löwenapotheke is a half-timbered house completely restored in 1995 with an unusual facade.
The Schönborner Hof was completed in 1681 and at that time served as the city residence of the imperial barons of Schönborn. The three-winged building has been owned by the municipality since 1833 and now serves as a museum.
Remains of the city fortifications can be found on the main side of the castle. The substructure of the sand gate from the 14th century and the Theodoric gate from the 15th century have also been preserved.
The stadium at Schönbusch
The stadium holds around 8,000 visitors and is the venue for the local soccer and football team.
Address: Park Schönbusch
The port, which was built in 1914 as part of the Main Canalization, is located west of the river downstream from the center. Since the Main-Danube Canal went into operation, the annual cargo turnover has been around one million tons.
The Main also passes Aschaffenburg on the longest stretch of river in Germany.
The largest areas of water can be found in Schönbusch Park. Here you can go boating on the lakes.